doc. 21 corr.1
25 October 1974
Original: Spanish


Findings of “on the spot” Observations in
the Republic of Chile
July 22 – August 2, 1974






          1.          One of the most important tasks accomplished by the Commission was to visit a number of detention facilities to examine the conditions under which persons deprived of liberty were kept, and to conduct interviews with a large number of such persons. Some of these interviews were tape recorded.


          Transcribed or summarized below are the notes prepared by the Commission members in charge of these visits, with the assistance of Executive Secretary Dr. Reque and Drs. Gómez and Holzman.


          2.          Before the Commission reached Santiago—in some cases the day before—a number of transfers of groups of detainees or prisoners took place. Thus, for example, prisoners on Dawson Island had first been transferred to various detention facilities in Santiago and then to Ritoque, north of Valparaiso. “Tejas Verdes,” which had been identified in a number of denunciations as a place where torture took place, was already empty as was “Cerro Chena” and “Chile Stadium.” In other cases, the Commission was informed that its visit had caused considerable improvement in the treatment of prisoners.


          3.          In most cases, names of persons interrogated have been omitted, either at their express request or because the Commission does not have written authorization to proceed otherwise. Information that might make possible easy identification of the declarants has also been omitted. This information is on file at the Commission.


          4.          It should be noted that individual situations have been mentioned further on to show the general situation prevailing with regard to those detained for political reasons. Mention of these situations and statements that have been gathered or formulated concerning them does not in any way constitute prejudgment of the individual cases that are now in process before the Commission as a consequence of the formal denunciations received.


          5.          Finally, it should be repeated that everything said in this chapter reflects the verifications made, or the complaints received, by the Commission during its visit to the particular facilities, and therefore, does not in any way, exclude the possibility that circumstances may have changed since the visits.


A.     “Tres Álamos” Detention Facility


          6.          This facility was visited on the morning of July 26 by the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Commission, Drs. Jiménez de Aréchaga and Dunshee de Abranches, who were accompanied by Dr. Holzman, a Commission staff member.


          7.          “Tres Álamos” is in a suburb of Santiago which is made up of very modest houses. It is a country estate containing the remains of former vineyards. The property is approximately one or two hectares in area and contains buildings, some of them two stories high, that belong, according to what the Commission was told, to a religious congregation. All of the work needed to guarantee the security of the detention facilities, such as walls, barbed wire, etc., have been completed.


          Aside from the central buildings, which comprise the offices of higher level personnel, kitchens and other general services, there are three longitudinal buildings, made up of adjoining rooms whose doors lead to an open corridor, as do the bathrooms and toilets. The larger room at the end of the corridor appears to be intended for common use by the prisoners in the particular building.


          Each of these buildings has an exit onto a yard, used for recreation.


          8.          The first building visited was occupied by around 30 women. We first noted the interior installations and determined that each room contained between two and four beds, leaving little free space. There were some magazines on the beds, and clippings from magazines were attached to the walls. A crib in one room indicated the presence of a child a few months old. Toilets and baths appeared to be suitably clean. We did not determine whether hot water was available in the showers, and the prisoners later denied that there was any.


          In the common room, we noted some ten sewing machines which, the staff of the facility informed us, were used by the prisoners to sew items they sold for their own profit.


          Prisoners who were interested in talking with the Commission's representatives were asked to go out into the yard or garden. All of them, without exception, went there. One group surrounded Dr. Abranches and the other surrounded Dr. Jiménez de Aréchaga, who was assisted by Dr. Holzman operating a tape recorder.


          It was thus possible to talk with almost all of the prisoners and to tape record what most of them said.


          9.          Serious violations of the right to personal integrity were denounced to us. According to the denunciations, the torture, abuse and cruel and inhuman treatment were not applied in Tres Álamos, but rather in other facilities to which the prisoners were periodically transferred for interrogation.


          We could see the degree of intense emotional disturbance of the overwhelming majority of the prisoners. Many of them could not hold back convulsive weeping and related their experiences without containing their indignation, even though they could easily be overheard by the authorities of the establishment and by Colonel Espinoza, who was a few meters away. Others were to emotionally disturbed to make any statement.


          According to the prisoners' statements, some of them were less than 18 years old.


          10.          In general, the most serious charges made by these prisoners against those who interrogated them away from “Tres Álamos” are the following:


          a)          Every kind of sexual aggression, including the commission of such aberrant acts as successive rape by several individuals, etc.;


          b)          The use of electric current, applied to the most sensitive areas of the body, successively or simultaneously;


          c)          Beatings and torture in the presence of their husbands or companions;


          d)          Threats against their parents, children, husbands, or other persons closely related to them;


          e)          The use of drugs of the “pentothal” type, to inhibit any physical or psychological resistance to sexual aggression or during the interrogations.


          Many of the prisoners stated that they were suffering, as a consequence of the events denounced, serious injuries to their genital organs and intense psychological disturbances. We heard about such as these: “I want to die! I can't stand it any longer,” or: “Have a committee of independent psychiatrists come to examine us! They will be able to verify that we are crazy or psychologically destroyed!”.


          Most of the statements were recorded.


          11.          The prisoners also stated that:


          a)          What the director of the establishment and the physician had previously indicated to the effect that they were supplied meat, fish, eggs and fresh vegetables was absolutely false. Their food—they stated—consisted basically of lentils and peas or beans. The lack of variety in their diet, they added, was causing them serious disorders;


          b)          There was not hot water in the showers, contrary to what the authorities asserted;


          c)          The sewing machines had arrived at the establishment only two days before the Commission's visit, and had not been used by the prisoners;


          d)          One of the prisoners, in an advanced state of pregnancy, said she needed treatment that could not be given in “Tres Álamos”.


          It was only at the conclusion of the visit that a woman, who was better dressed than the others, appeared and stated to the Commission Chairman in an almost confidential manner, clearly avoiding being heard by the prisoners, that she had always been treated in a gentlemanly way and that life in the facility was comfortable.


          12.          According to the prisoners' statements, no accusation of any kind had been brought against them, and many of them had not been interrogated by any other authority than the police. They all denied having committed any crime whatever or that they had been specifically accused of having committed any crime whatever.


          13.          The second building housed only men, and their number was easily equal to the number of women detained in the other wing.


          They were of various social and cultural levels, and of varied philosophical and political beliefs. Among them were lawyers, engineers, electronic specialists, dentists, professors, etc., as well as manual laborers.


          Only two or three of them were observed to be reticent to communicate with the Commission members. The others gladly accepted doing so and thanked us for coming. In general, they asked to be heard separately from the group, because they believed that there were some individuals among them who were instructed to spy on them.


          14.          One of the first questions the Commission asked the director of the establishment when it arrived was whether any minor was detained there. This question was asked because actually information had been received that there were minors of one or the other sex detained there. We have already indicated that some of the women said they were 16 or 17 years old. While we were speaking with the detained men, we were informed that ten minutes before our arrival a minor, Chacaltana, had been removed from the yard and transferred to the upper floor of the central building. The Chairman of the Commission immediately contacted the Director of the establishment and asked him to order the minor, Chacaltana, to be taken to the offices on the lower floor to be interrogated at the end of the visit. The Director then admitted that the minor was indeed there, and gave an unclear explanation to the effect that he expected an order at any time o release him.


          15.          Continuing the visit to the detained men, we received many extensive testimonials—some of them tape recorded—regarding physical and psychological torture suffered by most of them. According to their statements, the tortures consisted in general of:


          a)          Application of electric current to sensitive parts of the body, particularly the genital organs, successively or simultaneously;


          b)          Cigarette burns on various parts of the body;


          c)          Injuries caused by being hung by the wrists or the ankles;


          d)          A mock firing squad firing over the head of the prisoner or beside him;


          e)          Threat of abuse of wives, children, or sisters;


         f)          Forcing them to witness torture of other prisoners or to hear their screams while they were tortured;


         g)          Simultaneous cuffing with the open hands on both ears to injure the eardrum.


          The Commission could see that one of the prisoners had scars on his upper and lower limbs that obviously were caused by recent injuries.


          As in the case of the women, the prisoners expressed the same criticism regarding the food supplied to them, which was mostly lentils and beans, without meat, fish, or fruit. Both the men and the women criticized the doctor of the establishment.


          Almost unanimously, both men and women indicated in response to our question as to whether they had filed an appeal of amparo, that the authorities of the establishment had told them that “they could not” file such an appeal and that they were forbidden to have lawyers visit them.


          16.          In conclusion, three final comments:


          a)          Although the Ministers of Foreign Affairs, Defense, Justice, and interior told us that we could freely visit any detention facility, we were not permitted to go beyond the Director's office at “Tres Álamos” until Colonel Espinoza was called in by telephone.


          b)          Despite our interest in visiting the establishment's third wing, in which, according to what many prisoners told us, there was a group of persons who were being repeatedly interrogated and tortured, and whose cries they said they had heard, it was not possible to overcome the resistance of the authorities present. The fact that our visit had already been prolonged for several hours contributed to the situation.


          c)          Although we were not permitted to take photographs in the establishment, an official photographer took many photos during our conversations with the prisoners, which visibly upset them, because they feared the use that might subsequently be made of the photographs. We did not receive copies of the photographs, despite repeated promises that we would be furnished them.


          17.          With regard to the places in which—according to the statements received—prisoners were tortured during interrogation, the prisoners particularly indicated the building of the investigations center called “La Patilla”; the premises of Nº 38 Londres Street, also known as the “house of terror” or the “house of the bells” because the bells of a nearby church can be heard there; the Military Hospital; and very particularly, the Air Force Academy, in Santiago.


          18.          As examples of the complaints received during our visit to this establishment, it would be useful to transcribe some of the notes taken by the Commission members during the visit, eliminating names and other data that would make it possible to identify the declarants.




          Nº 1    Arrested in mid-October, 1973 and released at the end of December 1973, was again arrested early in 1974.


          Nº 2    Imprisoned from early May 1974, initially in the Chile Stadium.


          Nº 3    Arrested the last week of April 1974.


          Nº 4    Arrested shortly after the establishment of the new government. His family has been deprived of economic resources.


          Nº 5    Arrested early in March 1974; was previously in other detention facilities. Reports that he was a member of the Communist Party, but never took part in subversive activities. States that he received invitations to teach or work in foreign universities. Requests intervention of the CIDH to obtain his release, even if it should be on condition of immediately leaving Chile.


          Nº 6    Arrested last week of February 1974; states he has not taken part in political activities. Attributes his arrest to the fact that he has signed an appeal for relief in behalf of a detained person. Denounces the disappearance of Dr. Luiz Ortiz Quiroga, who was imprisoned in the Tejas Verdes facility.


          Nº 7    Arrested in mid-June 1974 and taken blindfolded to an unknown house. Denounces the detention of two minors, Carlos Orlando Ayres Moreno (16 years old) and Carlos Soto, but does not know whether they are now held in the men's building or somewhere else.


          Nº 8    Arrested in May 1974.


          Nº 9    Arrested in 1973, was released by the Prosecutor in July 1974, but was again arrested and transferred successively to two detention centers, together with two other persons.


          Nº 10  Detained from October 30, 1973, in the women's House of Correction in Santiago, and transferred June 28, 1974, to the Tres Álamos facility. Requested the Under Secretary of Foreign Affairs to arrange for her release and allow her to remain in Chile, or if that could not be done, to make the necessary arrangements for her to leave the country. Requests CIDH intervention to recover her identification card and leave the country with the assistance of the National Committee for Aid to Refugees. Was later released and was able to leave Chile on August 2.




          Nº 1    Accused of distributing subversive pamphlets, apparently was tortured in the building of Nº 38 Londres Street (shows scars on wrists; says not able to identify the tortures).


          Nº 2    Arrested September 1973 and taken to Nº 38 Londres Street (shows no scars, but accuses policemen names approximately Luicajón, Sapalo and Raúl Romo of alleged torture).


          Nº3     Arrested in mid-April 1974 and taken to Nº 38 Londres Street (marks on wrists had already disappeared).


          Nº 4    Arrested in mid-June 1974 and taken to Air War Academy, where says was tortured by a captain whose name could not identify (still shows visible scars on wrists).


          Nº 5    Arrested late January 1974. Alleges she was sexually abused by three persons at locations she could not identify because she was blindfolded.  She states she was examined by a physician of the Women’s House of Correction (Santiago) who signed a certificate attesting to her allegations. She states that the only reason for her detention and maltreatment she was subjected to would be the facts that she visited Cuba in 1972, for reasons having nothing to do with politics. The emotional state of the complainant indicates the need for medical-psychiatric treatment.


          Nº 6    Very young. States was arrested with other students and accused of subversive propaganda activities in high school. States was tortured in the house on Londres Street, in Santiago. Was released after the conclusion of the Commission's visit to Chile.


          Nº 7    Imprisoned in the Stadium, and released in mid-June 1974. Was tortured in the house on Londres Street.


          Nº 8    Imprisoned since early October 1973. States was tortured in the house on Londres Street.


B. “Capuchinos” Detention Center, Santiago



          19.          In the morning of July 26, Ambassador Robert F. Woodward, accompanied by Dr. Luis Reque, visited the Capuchinos Detention Center, located in downtown Santiago, some three blocks from the Senate Building. The center has large dormitories with a capacity of 30 persons, and other dormitories for four or eight persons. Some of the prisoners have radios. There was a television set. Everything had obviously been cleaned shortly before the visit. When Mr. Woodward and Dr. Reque arrived, the prisoners were assembled in an enclosed yard. There were 167 prisoners; 95 of them were members of the armed forces. Of the 95, 30 were officers of various ranks.


          20.          Since the Commission had received denunciations regarding several serious cases, Mr. Woodward and Dr. Reque began by requesting that they be permitted to interview the alleged victims of those acts, whose names they supplied. They were informed that the prisoners were not at that center.


          21.          As examples of the complaints received, a transcription or summary of some of the notes taken by Mr. Woodward and Dr. Reque are given below, with required deletions.


          Nº 1    Arrested October 1973; was prisoner of armed forces some ten months (during five of them remained in a small room where there was not even room to sleep on the floor). Was transferred to “Capuchinos” in May 1974. States that no charges have been brought against him, and says that he has done nothing against the military Junta.


          Nº 2    Was arrested in late October 1973 under suspicion (false) of taking part in political meetings. No specific charge has been brought against him. Says that he has done nothing, nor has spoken with anybody concerning any action against the armed forces.


                   Says that he was beaten so severely during interrogation that he suffered complete paralysis of his left side. Has recovered the use of his left side but still suffers disturbing aftereffects; in particular cannot read for more than one hour. Was forced to remain standing for two entire days.


          Nº 3    Was arrested early in March 1974, accused of having participated in political meetings. Says no specific charges were brought against him, that he has never done anything against the Government, and has had nothing to do with politics. During the first ten days of his detention, was repeatedly tortured with electrical shocks over his entire body. During the first five days was continuously blindfolded and hooded.


          Nº 4    Sentenced to three years in prison for alleged conversations with two other persons in a “Communist cell”. Stated that he does not even know the other persons. During interrogations, was beaten and was kept blindfolded for a long period.


          Nº 4    Arrested October 1973. Was released in February 1974. In May 1974, was again arrested. Was held incommunicado for four days. Has not been tortured. The authorities are seeking the death sentence in his case. Says he is not in politics. Needs medical attention, which is not available in the prison.


          Nº 5    Says he belongs to a group of persons who were arrested early in November 1974. Was tortured with electric shock, beatings with clubs, irons and cuffing with the palms of the hands on his ears. Was attended by a physician, who found evidence of torture. Was held five months incommunicado, in a very small cell. Has been brought to trial. A sentence of life imprisonment is being asked. Ten to twenty years in prison is being asked for some of the persons detained with him. Was brought before the war council, but they had to suspend the hearing for lack of sufficient evidence. Food in this prison is not bad. During the time he was held incommunicado, the food was bad; he did not see light for five months; was first in a jail and in January 1974, they put him in a cold basement.


          Nº 6    Arrested in September 1973 and taken to Chilean National Stadium, where he was beaten. Was hospitalized in the field hospital during the last week of September, 1973 in the National Stadium. Was interrogated for the second time and again beaten.


          Nº 7    Detained around mid-December 1973 at his work, by civilians. Was tied for two days and blindfolded. Was tortured with electric shock on the ears and body. One ear is in rather bad condition, with internal injury, and he may have to be operated upon. Has signs of torture on the feet and hands. His family had news of him in January 1974. He was transferred to the Santiago Public Jail in mid-February 1974. He is under psychiatric treatment and takes medicine to sleep and remain tranquil during the day. It could be seen that he was in a very nervous state. His wife wanted to go to the Commission's office in the Hotel Crillón, but they would not let her in. Says that no charges have been brought against him and that there is no torture in this prison.


          Nº 8    The pertinent part of his taped statement is transcribed. “The treatment we received has truly surpassed anything imaginable. We have been subjected to the worst abuse and torture of the most vicious kind. Their marks remain in our bodies. We went several days without receiving water, remained standing for two, three days and if we fell because we were tired or weak, we were brought to our feet by kicks and blows with rifle butts; we were tortured with electric shocks in the testicles and anus; were hung by the feet and hands; were crucified; needles were driven under our fingernails; we were injected with drugs; we were subjected to mock firing squads; and to tortures in the presence of wives and children, who were also tortured.” “In my case, I was arrested in a raid by 20 carabineros, who pointed their guns at my four-year-old daughter.” “In my presence, with my hands tied and without a hood, they killed a person who had his hands tied, and they said to us: 'That's how we are going to treat you if you do not cooperate.' “We have misgivings about our stay here, after the Commission leaves.”


                   “We request that an OAS representative inspect the treatment given to the 7.000 prisoners throughout Chile, after the Commission withdraws.” “In the Santiago Public Jail, there is a sick boy with a liver attack. The guard was notified, but said that nobody died of a liver attack, and they left him without any medical attention.”


                   “In our country, up to September 11, 1973, there were no political prisoners.”


                   “We had information that they are preparing a kind of document or legislation, which will set forth a number of provisions affecting political prisoners. What will those provisions be regarding international stipulation on human rights of the United Nations and the OAS? We request OAS intervention to make that document more humane and legal, and to make it respect the human rights of men with a right to defense.”


                   “We were kept with common criminals in wards 5 and 6.”


                   “Although we have been prisoners for ten months, they have still not brought us to trial. When we are taken to the interrogation rooms, they take us in chains, with hoods, and torture us because we do not say things that are not true. We have cases of persons who have been taken as political prisoners to military interrogation centers and have not yet returned.”


                   “Another very serious point is the situation of our families. Our children do not have the right to work or receive education, because they have family members detained. It has reached the point of destruction of the family.”


                   “We request the Commission to try to eliminate extreme penalties and the death penalty for charges invented by the Prosecutor.”


                   “We fear for the lives of two companions: Darío Pavez, who is thought to have been sent to the Air Force War Academy, and Julio Stuardo, who is believed to be in Chacabuco.”


                   “Three youths who were with us in Wards 5 and 6 were found dead the following day at the foot of a high tension tower. They are accused of trying to commit criminal assault.”


                   “General Bachelet died in the jail… for lack of medical treatment and for lack of air. He had heart trouble. He was taken in chains to the interrogation room.”


                   The death penalty had been requested for Captain Carlos Patricio Carvacho and Captain Vergara.”


                   “Previously the International Red Cross Commission was denied access to the jail.”


          Nº 9    The death penalty has been requested for him. The relevant passages of his statement are transcribed: “I was arrested in September 1973 and taken to the Air Force War Academy. I was kept standing for two days. I was interrogated and tortured while hooded. Electric shock was applied to my genitals, mouth, and ears. I was beaten, I was tied to a kind of grating; I have marks of torture. I was held incommunicado for 45 days, with a guard armed with an automatic weapon. One of the guards accidentally fired a shot and killed one of the prisoners. Later I was transferred to the Main Ward. One hundred and ten of us are left out of 135, and we were transferred from there to here twenty days ago. We are all right here. We have been informed that here, in Capuchinos, we will be sentenced by the Secretary of the War Council on Tuesday, July 30, at 14:30 hours.”


          Nº 10  Detained for six months. Says that no charges against him. Has been beaten; shows marks; has three ribs broken as a result of beatings and tortures. Tortures also in hands, feet, mouth and teeth. Says was tortured in Tejas Verdes and in another place that he did not recognize, in which he was blindfolded for nine days and was again tortured with electric shock in the ears, feet and hands, razor cuts on the fingers, hands and feet. The treatment in the jail was inhuman. He remained for two months on bread and water, was tortured at nine different locations. One of them was in the Barco Lebo, in Valparaiso; on one occasion a black liquid was forced down his nose. It is his family he is worried about. He asked the Commission to do something for them if possible.


          Nº 11  Arrested in September 1973. Has been denied release on bail. Preferred not to speak of tortures. “No charges against me; however, I am suffering consequences of the state of war. I do not rely on the judicial authorities, they have denied me the remedy of amparo. If I were judged by normal laws, there is no charge whatever against me.”


          22.          Four prisoners making up a so-called “Committee of Political Prisoners in Capuchinos” said that many of the 167 political prisoners detained in Capuchinos did not know the reason for their detention, after 10 months of being deprived of liberty. Only three of the 167 had been sentenced. The rest, that is to say 164, had no specific charges brought against them. The slowness of procedures is almost worse than the lack of judicial proceedings. It appears that most of the prisoners are suspected of having taken part in “Plan Z” (which the Committee Chief said never existed).


          They stated that the Capuchinos prison is relatively good, at least there is no maltreatment there.


          They stated that torture had been systematic; the use of the hood for long periods and always during interrogation; blows, kicks, and blows from rifle butts; being forced to stand for entire days; long periods with nothing to drink, up to 48 hours, in one case; electric shocks; threats of torture to wives and children in the presence of the prisoners; hanging by the tied hands, etc.


          Wives lose their jobs because their husbands are in prison. This has happened in 14 cases among the prisoners in Capuchinos. In addition, children of prisoners are not admitted to the universities.


          The head of the “Committee” expressed the hope that a Commission member might be able to visit the prisons periodically to continue the favorable effect and reduce the possibility that the good effects might be temporary. He mentioned that Wards 5 and 6 of the Santiago Public Jail are particularly bad because of the small size of the cells and the large number of prisoners kept in the small rooms.


C.       Chile Stadium


          23.          Was visited by Professor Manuel Bianchi, Dr. Genaro Carrió and Dr. Alvaro Gómez, a Secretariat staff member, on July 26, 1974. The group was accompanied by Commander Correa, of SENDET.


          The Chile Stadium was mentioned in a number of denunciations as a place where acts of violation of human rights had taken place and as a place where a large number of persons were detained under the “state of siege.”


          24.          Commander Correa reported that this place was no longer used as a detention center. He added that during the time it functioned as a center, persons who were brought there were interrogated, in principle, to establish their status. If there were charges or grounds for suspicion of subversive or criminal activities, such persons were transferred to other detention centers, more particularly, the jail on Capuchinos Street, the Investigations Department, or the Chacabuco camp.


D.       Tejas Verdes Engineering School


          25.          The same group visited this place—located 109 kilometers from Santiago—at 3:00 p.m. on July 26, 1974, and were received by the commanding officer of the center. He reported that, since late January 1974, no persons had been detained there.


          A visit was made to the sector which according to information supplied by the officer, had been used to house prisoners. The place consisted of a series of 30 wooden barracks, divided by a wire fence into 15 for men and 15 for women, with doors but with no windows. We were informed that the center could house 200 prisoners.


          When the Colonel was asked approximately how many persons could be housed in each barracks, he stated that they were able to house 4 or 5 persons. He indicated that “technical material” was now kept in the barracks. It was noted that some of the barracks were empty with their doors open; next to the exit gate there was a guard tower.


          26.          The Commission asked the ad hoc prosecutor, Colonel Rodríguez, to submit the records of the persons who had been detained in the installation. The following irregularities were noted in the records:


          a)          It had loose interspersed pages, while the numbers of the other pages were inexplicably consecutive;


          b)          There was no appropriate space to indicate the release of detained persons, so that in various places, without consistent order, the record showed that in some cases the prisoner had been “released”, but nothing at all was specified for other prisoners;


          c)          It was noted that in a certain part of the records the term “jail” was used with respect to some prisoners; and when the prosecutor was interrogated as to the cause of this irregularity, he said that the notation meant that the persons indicated had been transferred to the San Antonio jail, in the installation itself, or to the town hall of Tejas Verdes;


          d)          It was also noted that, in the registry section for indicating “Reason for Detention”, the terms “activists”, “propagandists”, and “socialists” often appeared.


          In one case, the reason for the detention indicated in the register was being the “Chauffeur of Matías Sánchez.” It was noted that Matías Sánchez had indeed been arrested also on September 22, 1973, but there was no record as to whether he was released or transferred to another place, etc.


          Finally, great irregularity was noted with regard to the registry of “Entry” and “Exit” of women detained in Tejas Verdes.


          According to the register, the last prisoner entered there on January 30, 1974.

Table of Contents | Next ]